Starbucks “The Third Place” - Odyssey Loyalty Program
Starbucks announced their Web3 loyalty program called “Odyssey” centred around earning, collecting and trading NFTs that unlock “immersive coffee experiences”. The program is aimed not only at Starbucks Rewards members, but also their employees who they refer to as “partners”. Starbucks envisions Starbucks Odyssey as a way for its most loyal customers to earn a broader set of rewards while also building community.
- Odyssey is the Web3 extension of their existing rewards program
- The waitlist opened 12.09.2022
- Members of the rewards program can log in and participate in “Journeys” that are fun, interactive games and challenges
- These activities are designed to deepen the knowledge of Starbucks and coffee
- NFTs called “journey stamps” are given to members who complete journeys
- Limited-edition digital stamps are also available through the Odyssey marketplace for an “experience a fun and easy way for members to access this new technology and claim an ownership stake in their loyalty to Starbucks.“
- Some sales revenue from these will go towards causes selected in consultation with rewards program members and employees.
- Each stamp NFT is worth a certain number of points based on its rarity
- By acquiring and collecting stamps, rewards program members can unlock “access to unique benefits and experiences that have never been offered before”.
- These could include: trips to the Starbucks coffee farm in Costa Rica, exclusive events at ‘Reserve Roasteries’, limited edition merchandise in collaboration with artists, metaverse experiences such as virtual espresso martini-making classes and simple in-store redeemable items such as free drinks.
The Starbucks Odyssey Loyalty will launch later this year after initial testing with selected waitlist applicants.
Other examples of loyalty programs expanding via the metaverse, NFTs and Web3
Examples from the Retail Industry
Nike x RTFKT Studios
Loyalty program worked in the way that early-adopters of their NFT collectibles were given evolving utility for their NFTs, which meant that utility either increased or became more valuable. Holders were also airdropped more (and more) NFTs, each with their own unique utility as well. RTFKT have so far been leaders at creating more value for purchasers.
Examples from the Beauty Industry
Loyalty program worked via their Web3 subscription model AEIR ID. The subscription allowed customers to easily receive discounts and other special offers via their AEIR ID connected Apple Wallets.
Examples from the Hospitality Industry
Marriot International & Marriot Bonvoy